Great Waters Group
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 August 2014 16:24
Autumn Assembly October 10-12, 2014
WI’s John Muir Chapter will hold its annual Autumn Assembly at the Phantom Lake YMCA in Mukwonago, WI. This year's event will be co-hosted by the Great Waters Group and the John Muir Chapter and will include indoor and outdoor environmental activities for all. This camp, founded in 1896, sits on 72 acres of scenic woodlands.
The event will feature keynote speaker Ron Seely, editor and reporter for the WI Center for Investigative Journalism. Until he retired in 2013, Seely was an award-winning reporter for the Wisconsin State Journal, the state’s second largest daily newspaper, where he worked for 35 years. For 20 years, he covered science and environment. Seely has also served as a senior lecturer in UW Madison’s Life Sciences Communication Department for the past 15 years.
In 1997, Seely was the co-writer and narrator for Wisconsin Public Television’s “Love of the Land,” a documentary about private landowners who have adapted Aldo Leopold’s land ethic. Seely has received many awards for environmental and investigative reporting, including reporting the role of Wisconsin’s tribes and their powerful treaty rights in the debate over the proposed 4 ½-mile-long open pit iron mine in the Penokee Range. An avid angler and wilderness paddler, Seely lives in Madison.
This event will include various timely program topics, possibly including tar sands oil, mining, water quality, Great Lakes protection, coal, renewable energy, energy efficiency, protecting our wild Wisconsin, and more. Other activities include a tour of a Johnson Controls building, a hike through a conservation area, canoeing on Phantom Lake, and a hike around Lulu Lake Preserve.
This event will include various timely program topics, possibly including tar sands oil, mining, water quality, Great Lakes protection, coal, renewable energy, energy efficiency, protecting our wild Wisconsin, and more.
For more information, see http://wisconsin.sierraclub.org/Events/aa.asp .
To register, visit http://action.sierraclub.org/site/Calendar?id=173821&view=Detail .
This is a great opportunity for GWG members to attend the Autumn Assembly right here in our own backyard! If you haven’t attended this event in previous years, sign up fir this one! As with any event, our success depends on our volunteers. We greatly appreciate your help.
If you are able to do any of the following tasks, please let me know 1-the task(s), 2-which day(s) you’re available, 3- your name and preferred way of contact (phone or email).
The following are general volunteer tasks – I will be in touch with details:
- bring a snack or beverage for Friday night, Saturday morning, afternoon, and/or evening
- introduce speakers (the bios will be written – you just will read the intro)
- technical assistance with powerpoint shows and DVD’s -- let me know if you prefer Fri evening, Sat morning, Sat evening, or Sunday morning
- help ready the camp for attendees (during the day Friday)
- help pick up silent auction items from Milwaukee-area businesses (flexible days in Sept)
- assist with silent auction – help set up on Friday and/or tally and collect money Saturday evening
- help staff registration table – Friday afternoon, Friday evening, Saturday morning
- help SC staff in Madison get folders, paperwork, etc organized in Madison.